Uneducation

I was studying the contents of the malai kofta when I was very rudely interruped: 

"Beta kya kartein ho?"

"Aunty Engineering"
"Arre waah very good"

I realised young that an Engineer was a prestigious title to have from the collective gasps that went around the room when someone proclaimed being one. Somewhere down the line those gasps have turns into yawns and even casual shoulder shrugs.


One can't really blame them though, every Tom,Dick and Rahul is an Engineer these days.


Back to the buffet line.One seldom realises the multitasking capabilities required during times like these.To carefully select only those dishes you would like, without tasting them while ensuring you're not holding up the line.Keeping an eye out for that empty seat you spotted and then also leaving some place on your plate for the papad.


*phew*


"So what plans ahead?"

"Haven't decided yet Uncle, higher studies maybe?"
"Kidhar?US?"
"Mostly haan"

We have a tendency of adding hints of mystery to all all our answers,nothing definitive.

dekhenge, karna padega, kya pata, are some common phases we use. It would remind one of the promos of TV soaps we see, kya simran apna badla le payegi? kal dekhiye.

My dal was getting cold. Curse you centralised air conditioning, you shall never match the standing fans spraying rose water.


But why are all our answers so predictable after all? Like Carl Sagan said, Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact.
Is there a sudden burst in the number of science enthusiasts then? or have we all succumbed to peer pressure? All I knew was that I wanted more puris.

I sheepishly crept into the line where the puris were placed and took two more.

"But there are no jobs in the US these days
Everyone I know has come back to India after their MS"

Why am I going then?!What if I don't get a job?What if I do and I don't like it? How will it be there? Why does the sabji get over before the puri does?


"No harm in applying no maa, you should go see the world"


That's right Veena World is way too expensive anyway this way I get a degree too.


"You're not writing the GATE no?"

"No Aunty"

lol. Aukaat.


"How many Universities have you applied to?"

"Just a few."
"East coast or west?"
"Both."
"For mechanical na?"
"Yes Aunty."
"Have you finished all the applications?"
"Almost".
"Did you try the gulaab jamuns?"
"No Aunty."
"They are great!"
"Ok."

Since 80% of the population had reached the gulaab jamuns and ice cream we could safely assume that the function would soon come to an end.


Other indicators of the same could be the concluding statements attached to the questions being asked.


"Let me know where you get in.okay?"

"Sure"

As the crowd started to disperse I could finally eat my desserts in peace without having to wonder if I would be able to get into a good college, or get a job, or afford a mortgage in the future, at least I can enjoy this delicious jamun at this particular moment.

Would I be lying if I said I didn't care? Yes. I definitely cared about what the future holds for me. But am I going to worry about it? No.
Like Robert Eliot said,
“Rule number one is, don’t sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it’s all small stuff.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts