Living with Strangers #1

I am going to be honest here.I have lived 23 years of my life cocooned.protected, and in my 23rd year, I flew here, USA. *Alicia Keys's New York plays in the background*. Like every other new phase in our lives, this too has some expectations, may it be personal or professional. Some of us came here to experiment, some to follow the beaten path. We were all going to try something new,some pretty scary stuff. So before I go any further lets all pat ourselves on the back for having managed to make it this far without burning down the house. Here we are, paying our bills, doing our laundry, eating healthy and some of us going to the gym.some of us. not me. But even in this almost Utopia of ours there are some small, and so small that they seem insignificant, things that we miss. I speak from personal experience here, but I lived these twenty something years of my life in a world where everything was literally one call away and it would never be "oh pizza ayo free"  because the Domino's guy would make it to my place in 20 even if he stopped on the way for a smoke. From the plumber to the mechanic everyone was accessible. There wasn't a nook or cranny of this madhouse of a city that I couldn't get to either by bus,train,auto,taxi and if your lucky, in the monsoons by boat. I'm kidding, there'd never be enough space to row a boat in Mumbai. These are the little things we undermine back home. So next time that bhaiya delivers a triple schezwan fried rice to your place, you tip him extra. Because trust me, you'll miss those bhaiyas and didis and that triple schezwan fried rice. 

Comments

  1. Waiting for the next set of observations Ash! It is so true though, that we so easily forget the value of things which are easily accessible to us, the value of which we realize only when it turns inaccessible.. Necessacity turns into a luxury so quick na?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for the insightful comment Akshata! and yes I completely agree, you hit the nail on the head. Experiencing the change really made me think hard about being thankful for all the little blessings in my life! And if you look at the larger picture, one understands the stark difference in definitions of necessity and luxury as circumstances change.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts